We are excited to learn about your interest in CAFE's next trip to Washington during the latter half of February of 2013. This will be our second opportunity as a group to go to our nation's capital and demonstrate that the Cuban-American Community contains a plurality of views concerning this country's policy towards Cuba.
In our first experience we were surprised to find how many congressional members look at the Cuban-American community as unified in favor of the embargo policy. Even worse, they claim that nobody else except those passionate pro-embargo Cubans care about our policy towards the island. We believe that this is false. Surveys indicate that the majority of Cuban Americans in South Florida is in favor of more engagement between the Washington and La Habana. This would bring the Cuban-American community in line with the rest of the American populace who overwhelmingly agree that it is time to pursue a different policy towards Cuba.
A different policy in Washington will only come about through the combined efforts of citizens like you who want to promote engagement. We need your support and attendance!
CAFE would like to remain in contact with you, share information about our trip, and learn if there is anything we can do to help you attend our three-day event in DC this upcoming February. We are a group of concerned citizens who have decided to be active participants in the policy making process and we invite you to let your voices be heard by expressing to our duly elected legislators and government officials that it is time for a change in U.S. policy towards Cuba.
CAFE (Cuban-Americans for Engagement)
- U.S Citizen? Since?
- U.S Congressional District
- Party affiliation (not required)
- Have you contacted or are you willing to contact (email, letter, phone, in person) your representatives (Congress, Senate, Executive branch) about U.S. policy towards Cuba?
- What issue(s) do you think is the most important to resolve between the U.S. and Cuba (i.e. getting Cuba off the State sponsor of Terror list, remittances, ending the "travel ban" ending embargo, Alan Gross, Cuban Five, other)?
- Have you been to Washington to see your representatives before concerning any issues?
- Are you willing/able to fund your own ticket to Washington and lodging for 3 days/2 nights?
- How did you find out about CAFE?